Black Belt 1st Dan Syllabus
This video is only a guide. Please see the written description for the full syllabus.
- Demonstrate any 15 throws of the examiners choice, from the (26) grading structure throwing techniques.
Demonstrate any counter technique as a result of uke attacking in the following throws:
- Kouchi Gari – Minor inner reap
- Ouchi Gari – Major inner reap
- Osoto Gari – Major outer reap
- Tai Otoshi – Body drop
- Harai Goshi – Sweeping hip
The above counters are to be demonstrated effectively and with no hesitation. A committed attack from Uke will test Tori’s instinctive response to counter with an Ippon throw.
- Demonstrate any 15 groundwork of the examiners choice, from the (22) grading structure groundwork techniques
- Demonstrate the full groundwork wheel whilst uke tries to escape. Control of Uke must be evident. Uke must not escape. Tori must contain body contact.
- Demonstrate complete set of Nage No Kata, or have proof of completion of a Nage no Kata course.
- Coaching Level 1
- Refereeing Level 1
- Minimum 4 wins against similar grade or line up of mixed grades.
- 1 draw allowed
- 0 losses allowed
- Score only by Wazari or Ippon
Please note that grading is an assessment of a students knowledge, skill and ability. Clearly, the objective is to win in contest. However, where winning through if a student wins through use of brute force and aggression, rather than a demonstration of skill, technique and understanding of judo the student may not be awarded their grade.