Our competition ruleset is focused on traditional judo meaning that many techniques that are banned in modern, olympic judo – such as leg grabs – are still allowed in JFAUK. Further to this, we put a strong emphasis on ne-waza due to our belief that judo should be a 50/50 split between tachi waza and ne-waza. Therefore, judoka competing will be allowed plenty of time to work into groundwork techqniues when fighting.
Other differences include:
- White Judogi Only
- No excessive Judogi badges – Manufacturer logo only
- No Back patches on judogi
- 30 second hold downs (25 second wazari, 30 second ippon)
- Wazari and Ippon Only
- Wazari’s are not cumulative – 2 Wazari’s = Ippon (Wazari Awaseti Ippon)
- Upright judo – Little or no grip fighting allowed
- ‘Tactical’ Judo is discouraged – students are not encouraged to win via technicalities such as causing opponents to get shido’s and holding onto that penalty until the end.
- Shido, Chi and Kaikoku penalties.
- 1 referee only.
- No Golden score – referee decision after the time limit.
- Formalities are required
- No mat-side coaching
- No excessive audience cheering
For the full ruleset, please click here